Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Sitting at the feet of Jesus

​S-Luke 10:38-42 NIV

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feetlistening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

O-  I think I have always related to Martha in this scenario.   Martha had heard Jesus was coming and opened up her home to Him and His disciples.   A result was that she became focused on being a good host and making preparations for what was likely a meal for the entire group.   The problem was that Mary had chose to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to all He had to say,  she likely realized just how special it was to have the son of God over their house and that this opportunity was once in a lifetime to sit at the feet of the messiah.  When Martha complains to Jesus about Mary  not helping, Jesus does not rebuke  her but simply tells her she is worried about too many things and is not focused on the one important thing which is sitting in the presence of Jesus and receiving what he has to say.  

A - The application for me is to take this gentle rebuke from the Lord to be my own.  I am to rejoice and settle in to just being in the Lord's presence, rather than focus on the many tasks I can feel I need to be doing.   I am not to point out the dust in the eye of those around me that I feel are not doing what I would prefer to see them doing.  I am to focus on removing the plank from my own eye first and sitting at the feet of Jesus to receive His wisdom and truth.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotion, may it be sealed to my heart.  Lord I pray that you would help me to be more like Mary and choose to spend time at your feet and not overly focused on tasks that can be done.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment