Monday, June 22, 2015

Seek godliness , not self discipline

 S - 1 Tim 4:6-10 (NASB)
    6In pointing out these things to the brethren, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound doctrine which you have been following. 7But have nothing to do with worldly fables fit only for old women. On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness; 8for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come9It is a trustworthy statement deserving full acceptance. 10For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.

O -  Paul is letting Timothy know that you have been given all you need in Christ, God's word, and the examples of godly men in your life.   He warns him though that there will still be a temptation to rely on your own self discipline and efforts during trying times, and even moments of success.   We must be sure to avoid the enticements of worldly books and philosophies.  Instead focus on Godliness with your eyes fixed on God.

A -  The application for me is correct back to a focus on Godliness and not self discipline.  To trust more in the spirits leading that my own thoughts.  I am to love, and be generous, for the sake of displaying God's love and generosity.   In this rebuilding season I will have a tendency to focus on my self discipline and what I can accomplish, instead I need to focus on the word of God, and what God is speaking to me through devotions,  and the Holy Spirit.   The warning in hear applies to me as well as to be careful and aware of the temptation to follow teachings of the world.  While God is in many things, there are many attractive things that are not of God.

P -  Dear heavenly Father, thank you for this time, and message for me today.  I pray Lord that you help me to walk by faith and not by sight.   I pray that in the days and months ahead you correct me gently, but correct me when I am going astray from Godliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment