Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Love your enemies

  S - Luke  6 : 27-36    (NASB)

27 “But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who [o]mistreat you. 29 Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your [p]coat, do not withhold your [q]shirt from him either. 30 Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. 31 [r]Treat others the same way you want [s]them to treat you. 32 If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, [t]expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. 36 [u]Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

O -  This paradox of how we are to treat others, especially others who are not for us, goes to the heart of who God is and who He wants us to be.   God does not return to who are bad,  bad things,  instead He extends grace.   He shows mercy to those who turn towards Him, despite their past.

A -  I have a tendency to make enemies of those who I feel are against me.   I watch and vilify the actions they are taking.   God is telling me this is not a healthy habit.  I must learn to bless those that curse me, to pray for those who don't treat me right.   This will change my heart and attitude towards them and will perhaps change their attitude toward me.  Do not return to others what you receive from them but rather return to them what you would have liked to have received.  

P -  Lord I confess that I have not been treating my wife and kids right.  I need to be a source of strength and encouragement for them.  Lord help me to see them as you see them, and give me the words that build them up and make them feel valued and loved.   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment