Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The tongue brings forward from the well of what is inside

The tongue brings forward from the well of what is inside
S- James 3

Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly.2 Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way.

3 We can make a large horse go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. 4 And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong. 5 In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches.

But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. 6 And among all the parts of the body, the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself.

7 People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, 8 but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison.9 Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. 10 And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! 11 Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? 12 Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can’t draw fresh water from a salty spring.

O-  James' treatise on the tongue is always a good stopping point for me because I have so much trouble created by my own tongue, that I know I have much to learn and reflect on.   Today I observe that this small thing the tongue weilds great power and influence both for good and evil.   So it is important that we tether it to a mind and spirit that is led by the Lord and not by our sinful tendencies.

A -  The appplicaiton for me is to recongnize when my mind and spirit are God led my tongue speaks life, healing and truth into the people I interact with.  When I am led by desires and sins of this world,  my tongue is a wicked weapon that can inflict pain and damage on those I release it on.    I must continue to ensure the well that is within me is spirit filled, overflowing with God's love, and free from influences of the enemy so that out of this deep fresh water well, my mouth will speak life giving words.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotions,  may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray that you would help me root out any damage left in me that is spoiling the well of my heart , mind and soul that you would fill me with you love and everlasting kindoness, so that I may speak life into my wife,  my kids, my family,  my friends, my co workers and even my boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment