Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Living for God and suffering for being a Christian

Living for God and suffering for being a Christian

S -1 Peter 4
4 So then, since Christ suffered physical pain, you must arm yourselves with the same attitude he had, and be ready to suffer, too. For if you have suffered physically for Christ, you have finished with sin. 2 You won’t spend the rest of your lives chasing your own desires, but you will be anxious to do the will of God. 3 You have had enough in the past of the evil things that godless people enjoy—their immorality and lust, their feasting and drunkenness and wild parties, and their terrible worship of idols.
...
Suffering for Being a Christian

12 Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. 13 Instead, be very glad—for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world.

O -  What freedom we have in Christ,  freedom from the weight and consequences of sin.   We often are encouraged by this but forget the whole package deal -  we are now partners with Christ and shouldn't be surprised when we still face trials and suffering.  Christ was free from sin, and one with the Father and yet he faced trial and suffering and so will we.  Instead of being depressed by this we should understand the partners we are in our shared suffering knowing in the end He has made it through and won the victory. 

A -  The application for me is to look back at the season I just went to and realize , Christ faced similar suffering and trials.   First my experience was like the 40 day and nights that Christ went into the desert, fasted and was tempted by the devil.  I too faced a similar internal suffering and faced many tempations and battles in my mind, and for my soul.   Later Christ faced great internal strife as he faced the cross and the feeling even of abandoment by God.    I feel I faced a similar crisis of faith where I wondered if  God abandonded me or somehow was irrellevant in relief of my suffering.    But in the end I feel great peace and joy as the I once again feel the presence of God, the guidance of the Holy spirit and the favor of my Father in Heaven. 

P - Dear heavenly Father thank you for word today, may it be sealed to my heart.  I first off want to thank you for your promises shown true in my life through a season of trial and suffering.  Second I would ask Lord that you help me to be like Paul who learns to be satisfied in all things both times of plenty and times of few, times of great peace and times of great turmoil and yes even suffering.   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment