Thursday, January 10, 2013

Resisting the devil and temptations of the world

Resisting the devil and temptations of  the world
S -Matt 4:8-11 (NASB)
8 Again, the devil took* Him to a very high mountain and showed* Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory;9 and he said to Him, "All these things I will give You, if You fall down and worship me."10 Then Jesus said* to him, "Go, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your Godand serve Him only .' "11 Then the devil left* Him; and behold, angels came and began to minister to Him

O -  Just prior to Jesus ministry time he was led off to the wilderness by the Spirit to be tested by the devil.  This testing had a purpose to build strength an endurance for the challenging ministry season Jesus faced ahead of him.  The devil ultimately tempted him with authority over all the kingdoms on earth if he would simply worship him.   But this is the test I, we, all must pass  while in this world, to resist the devil and worship and follow God only.   The devil can offer us nothing in comparison to a relationship with God, and membership in the kingdom of heaven.  Following the devil in this world, leads to separation from God and ultimately death.  Following Christ , leads to salvation and restoration with God the father, and ultimately eternal life in God's kingdom.

A -  The application for me is to recognize that I am susceptible to the temptations of the devil and distractions of the world.  I must use the spirit in me and knowledge of God's truth and promises, to reject those temptations and seek first things of the Kingdom of God.   Doing so will build my strength and endurance to run the race in a way in which I will finish.

P - Dear heavenly Father thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord for the continuing strengthening of my heart, mind, and soul.  I pray that you would continue to guide me in this endeavor to be a useful and lasting member of your kingdom  that I would resist the devil and follow you.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment