Monday, January 21, 2013

Reckless Love

Reckless Love
S - Mark 12:28-34 (NASB)
28 One of the scribes came and heard them arguing, and recognizing that He had answered them well, asked Him, "What commandment is the foremost of all?"29 Jesus answered, "The foremost is, 'Hear, O Israel! the Lord our God is one Lord ;30 and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart , and with all your soul , and with all your mind, and with all your strength .'31 "The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself .' There is no other commandment greater than these."32 The scribe said to Him, "Right, Teacher; You have truly stated that He is one, and there is no one else besides Him;33 and to love Him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength , and to love one's neighbor as himself , is much more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."34 When Jesus saw that he had answered intelligently, He said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God."

O -  This scribes question came after a few more hypocritical Sadducee asked Jesus leading questions to trap him to say something blasphemous regarding resurrection of thee dead or even against Caesars leadership in the region.  Because of Jesus authoritative and wise responses it encouraged this scribe to ask a  a genuine question one which would provide a theologically simple principle in which we are all to live by.   Jesus distilled all the commandments down to two things (though the scribe asked for the greatest , he gave a more complete answer).   That we are to love God with all that we are, and we are to love those around us. This was God's original design for us that we would be in complete fellowship with Him.  He gave us companions to share this live we and he designed us to care for one another.

A - The application for me is a reminder to keep it simple.   I am to love God with all that I am and in all that I know how to do.  I still have some growing to do in learning how to love God and look forward to that journey of growing in my knowledge of how I can love God.  In that same way, I am to love those God places in my life.  I am to love them how I know how, but also ask God to help me learn to love them well in the ways he loves them.  

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray  Lord that you would help me to love well with all that you have given me to love with .  Help me to know how I  can love you more fully,   and help me to love others,  my wife, my children, my family, my friends, and those I am running into daily.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment