Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Words of discipline and correction

Words of discipline and correction
S-

Prov 13:30
He who withholds his rod hates his son,
But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Prov 15:1

gentle answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.

4

soothing tongue is a tree of life,
But perversion in it crushes the spirit.

O - Raising children is the by far the hardest leadership challenge I have faced.   While my experience in the world with regard to leading people is not small, my ability to shape and influence my daughters, values, and behavior has proven to be one of my biggest growing experiences.  Solomon speaks to this leadership of our children.  First off the idea that discipline is necessary to raise up a child but when the rod is used it should be used gently as to guide and not to instill fear.    When speaking to our children we should gently answer their questions, when we yell at them it can only stir up fear and anger in them.   Lastly we must be sure that our words bring life and crush the spirit of our children.  


A -  The application for me is is the mere reflection that I often fall short in these three standards of conduct and must do better if I am to raise my girls to be unhindered by my own disobedience to God's word.  I must take courage and continue to recognize it is my role to discipline, I must not avoid it because I want to appease the girls and make them happy.  On the other hand I must not hold back discipline until I can't stand it anymore and then explode with a heavy rod of discipline that crushes them.   I must recognize my capacity for harsh words, and must not use these as tools o shape the girls behavior, but when teaching or correcting,  I must strive to speaks words of truth and life into them.  


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotion, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would help transform through your holy spirit, my heart, head, and ultimately my actions when it comes to raising Ashlyn and Chloe.  Help me to be a good father who lovingly disciplines, uses my words to lift them up and not tear them down, and ultimately causes them to blossom to be the women of God you are calling them to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment