Monday, May 28, 2012

Teachable - a key trait to wisdom

Teachable -  a key trait to wisdom
S - Prov 9:8-10 (NASB)

Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you,
Reprove a wise man and he will love you.
Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser,
Teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning.
10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

O -  I can imagine King Solomon penning these words as he had attained such great wisdom early on in his kingship that he had a great many people coming to him for advice and judgement as King.   This proverb was likely confirmed through experience of giving advice to those who scoffed at him and hated him. It most likely helped him determine where he would invest his time.  Rather than try and correct and corral those who disagreed with him he could focus on finding those who posed a degree of wisdom already and were teachable, and secondly had a healthy fear of the Lord.

A - The application for me is to understand first, I must be man who fears the Lord and seeks to know God.  Second I must maintain a teachable heart, no matter how experienced I become  I must be willing to accept correction and wisdom when poured into my life.  The third revelation is that I must seek to mentor and equip those whom are the same.   Investing time and energy to poor out wisdom onto someone who is not open, teachable, and reverent of God and his truth may proved to be less than fruitful.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you keep in me a teachable heart, and that you enable me to have a one that is fearful of who you are.   I pray for wisdom in discern who to invest your wisdom into.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment