Saturday, May 26, 2012

Seeking wise counsel

Seeking wise counsel

 S  - Prov 1: 2-7 (NASB)

To know wisdom and instruction,
To discern the sayings of understanding,
To receive instruction in wise behavior,
Righteousness, justice and equity;
To give prudence to the naive,
To the youth knowledge and discretion,
A wise man will hear and increase in learning,
And a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel,
To understand a proverb and a figure,
The words of the wise and their riddles.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
Fools despise wisdom and instruction.


O  - Solomon as King played an important role in Israel and our future.  To him wisdom was imparted from God as he had prayed for this at the start of his rule.   As a result his mantle was not only to build the temple in Jerusalem but also to "give prudence to the naive, to the youth knowledge and discretion".   Recognizing that the wisdom imparted to Solomon was from God we can confidently review it and apply it to our our lives and understanding.  Although he may have not ended well,  we can take these early words of Solomon and understand where wisdom start from:  as he says in verse 7 "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge"

A - The application to my own life is two recognize two truths.   I am to love and seek knowledge and wisdom for the many roles I will play in my own life: father, husband, leaders, teacher, mentor.   I am to remain teachable, because when wisdom begins to take away my dependence or fear of the Lord I will likely stumble in my own arrogance or wandering from the Lords will in my life.  Solomon says that even a wisdom man, a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel, and so I  must always be able to seek and receive wise counsel from others.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's wisdom and knowledge you have imparted on me.  Please seal this lesson to my head and heart that I may have a healthy fear of you all the days of my life.  I pray this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment