Saturday, May 12, 2012

Leading with fear and righteousness

Leading with fear and righteousness
 S - 2 Samuel 23:3-4 (NASB)

“The God of Israel said,
The Rock of Israel spoke to me,
‘ He who rules over men righteously,
Who rules in the fear of God,
Is as the light of the morning when the sun rises,
A morning without clouds,
When the tender grass springs out of the earth,
Through sunshine after rain.’

O - The leadership of men is something God observes closely.   While he knows us individually, and gives us grace, and salvation despite our flaws and shortcomings,  he watches our actions and motives in how we lead other people.   We know the Lord places and removes men from leadership roles.  "Promotion is from the lord" and the opposite is true.    So David, a man after God's own heart, here describes in some of his final words what it means to lead in a manner that pleases God.  We are to lead with righteousness and a fear of God if we are to be a light to those we lead and have the hand of God's favor upon us.

A - The application is always the struggle of a good leader and is the same for me.   First I must know what God's righteousness is and be consistently living by it and displaying God's values to those I lead.   I can know this by knowing his word and by seeking his righteousness in prayer and discernment.   I must learn to live with a healthy fear of God when leading others as well. For me this means I must recognize the people God places before me to lead are His and not mine and that if I mistreat or mislead even one I am accountable to Him.   I must remember my leadership occurs everywhere I am, at home, at work, at church,  and I must reverently honor God with how I lead.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotion, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would be my light and salvation and show me the path to your righteousness in leading your people.  I pray this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment