Monday, May 7, 2012

Repentance and restoration

Repentance and restoration 
S - Psalm 51:10-13 (NASB)

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from Your presence
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And sustain me with a willing spirit.

O - I am not for certain but this prayer may have been David's after being convicted by Nathan of sin with Bethsheeba, and killing her husband Uriah.   David's spirit had certainly shifted and in this season of repentance we see him asking the Lord to restore all those things in him that made him once to be the man after God's own heart.  

A - If this can happen to a man as David, how much more susceptible I am.   I will never have the stature or kingship that David had, but I will face similar times of need for repentance from wandering from God's best for my life.  The application for me is to follow David's heart in repentance and restoration:

1.  First to clean my heart
2.  Second to restore the strength of my spirit - by allowing me to be in God's presence and filling me with the Holy Spirit
3.  Lastly restoring the joy of my original salvation - the joy that comes from being a captive set free from my own sin, and following the one who can truly lead my life.


P- Dear heavenly Father, thank you for your message today that calls me to repentance and restoration.  The prayer of this psalm is the prayer of my heart today, lord create in me a clean heart, restore and refresh my spirit, Holy Spirit live in me,  and restore the joy of Your salvation.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment