Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Godly commissioning of our children

Godly commissioning of our children
S - 1 Chron 28: 8-10 (NASB)
“As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever. 10 Consider now, for the Lord has chosen you to build a house for the sanctuary; be courageous and act.”


O - These are the words of King David to his son Solomon at the time of his handing the throne over to Solomon.   They are words of encouragement, and of warning.    He give him the keys to the kingdom by telling Solomon the keys to following God.    David long before this had been living a life likely visible to Solomon, and he did example a King who sought to follow and serve God, but yet these words are needed to both commission Solomon, and sum up how he is to rule.  


A-  The application for me comes in the area of raising and commissioning my own children.  I recognize that the most important thing to do is be an example to my children of a man seeking to follow God and serve Him with my whole heart and a willing mind.    But also I must not assume that without words they will understand and follow my example.  I believe I must tell them face to face these simple truths that David shared with Solomon:   


1.  Serve God with a whole heart and willing mind
2.  God knows our hearts and understands the intent of our thoughts.
3.  Seek him, and he will let you find Him.
4.  Follow your calling in life, whatever God asks you to do, be courageous and act.


While these words are wise advice for me to pass on to my kids, I recognize they still are words of truth for me today.


P -  Dear heavenly Father, thank you for your words of truth and wisdom through your word.   I pray Lord that you would lead me to be a Godly father like David, who knows well how to pass on the heart and calling of a man after your own heart.   I pray for my children as well as myself to receive these words and apply them to our lives.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment