Saturday, December 17, 2022

Progressive habits of effective Christians

​S-2Peter 1:5-9 NIV

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control;and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

O - Peter here describes the progressive habits that Christians should make every effort to work on in their lives.  I believe these to be a circular progression that you start off with faith and progress all the way through love.  We are never complete as we should go around adding to each a further measure of these areas.  But what caught my eye today was verse 9 which says whoever doesn't have these attributes are blind and nearsighted having forgot that their salvation has cleansed them from their past sins leaving know excuse as to why they aren't increasing in faith, goodness, knowledge, self control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection and love. 

A - The application for me is to remember the gift of mercy my salvation is.  Jesus has paid for the forgiveness of my sins and as I repent and seek God I can start increasing my faith, goodness, knowledge, self control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection and love.   If I do this I will be more productive and effective in my knowledge of Christ. 

P - Dear heavenly Father thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord you help me increase in these progressive habits, doing so knowing you have forgiven me for my past sins.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment