Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Waiting on the Lord - Patient endurance

S - 2 Peter 3:8-9   (NASB)
But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance

O - Peters message to new church is to give them an exhortation to patient endurance.   For them the savior of the world had came and left.  Their hope was in Jesus Christ, now their Lord and Savior. So when would they be saved?   I think a lot of them likely thought while Jesus walked among them they would be saved, or when he ascended to Heaven then they would be saved,  each of them desperate to receive God's promise to once and for always save His people.  The truth is the Lord is in no hurry because time is not what concerns him,  it is our salvation which comes from our repentance.   If He were impatient many of us would never know His salvation,  and yet He wants non to perish, and therefore waits patiently on us to come to Him.

A -  The application to me seems now obvious, which before was such a mystery.    Why have I faced trials in the past, and why did I have to go through such a long period of suffering.  The answer is that it wasn't long at all from God's perspective,  the only thing that mattered was my humbly coming to the Lord, repenting of my sins and dedicating my life to following Him.

P -  Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  Lord I pray that you would help me fully heal from the affects of my own sin,  building me stronger to never again walk on the wrong path.    Lord thank you for your grace and patience with me,  I want to be more like you in leading my family and those you place under my covering.  I pray all this in Jesus Christ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment