Sunday, July 26, 2020

Re-establishing the progressive habits of effective Christians

S- 2 Peter 1:5-11 NASB
Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral [g]excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; 11 for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

O- Peter is teaching us in this passage the progressively perfect habits a Christian is to practice so that they may grow in Christ and follow God's calling on their life.  Faith builds moral Excellence is where we start so that the stumbling block of sin doesn't become an obstacle.   Out of moral excellence comes a hunger for the knowledge of who God is,  which in turn yields a life of self control.   When you have faith, knowledge, and self control  you are able  perseverance and walk in godliness which is the end goal for a Christian on their personal journey with the Lord.    Once you understand and are living a godly life you will be ready to be kind to and love other believers.   Out of God's outpouring of love on you, and you onto other believers you will learn how true love really is, and you will be able to love those who have yet to come to know Christ and you will be able to love them like God does.

A - The application for me is to return to these progressive habits of highly effective Christians.  I am to focus on the process of learning to live a godly life through strengthening my faith, growing in the knowledge of God,  increasing my ability to maintain self control of my attitude and behavior.   Out of this I will seek to expand my perseverance in all areas of my life (home, work, in the church).   This should be enough to focus on this season and prepare me more for the work in the mission field of spreading Christ's love for all mankind.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson may it be sealed to my heart.   I pray lord for the knowledge and perseverance as I re-establish and grow my ability to love you and grow in Godliness.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment