Thursday, February 4, 2021

The heart, tongue and eye

 S - Prov 4:20-27   (NASB)

20 My son, give attention to my words;
Incline your ear to my sayings.
21 Do not let them depart from your sight;
Keep them in the midst of your heart.
22 For they are life to those who find them
And health to all [g]their body.
23 Watch over your heart with all diligence,
For from it flow the springs of life.

24 Put away from you a deceitful mouth
And put devious [h]speech far from you.
25 Let your eyes look directly ahead
And let your [i]gaze be fixed straight in front of you.
26 Watch the path of your feet
And all your ways will be established.

27 Do not turn to the right nor to the left;
Turn your foot from evil.

O - This proverb from Solomon is from him to his son (but applies to all of us).  Solomon says guard your heart because this is the source of your life and when life flows freely from it you will live a life that is abundant.   He says watch your speech because if you are good with your words in a way that deceives vice brings truth your ways will be crooked.  Rather instead let your eyes look forward and straight in front of you so you won't head down the wrong path.

A - The application for me is to pay attention to three of my vital organs,   my heart, my tongue, and my eyes.   Life flows from my heart when it is healthy and not hard.   When I store the wisdom of these proverbs and in fact all scripture in my heart , it is healthy and the life force within me pumps life giving blood to all my body parts.   This includes my tongue which is a powerful force that if not tamed will learn the bad habit of deception, only concerned with personal gain.  Instead I am to tame the tongue that it might be used to lift up others and not tear them down.   And lastly my eyes.   I need to keep them focused on the narrow path ahead of me and follow the trail that Jesus has planned for me.  When my eyes get distracted by things along the way,  I will tend to wander away from the path guide has set before me.  The application is to use my heart, my tongue and my eyes to lead me in God's ways.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's word of wisdom, may it be sealed to my heart, flow from my tongue, and may my eyes stay fixed on you and the path you have set before me.  I pray all this in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment