Saturday, February 20, 2021

The good shepherd

 S -  Psalm 23 (NASB)

The Lord is my shepherd,
I will not be in need.  He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For the sake of His name. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
 Certainly goodness and faithfulness will follow me all the days of my life,
And my dwelling will be in the house of the Lord forever.

O - David's psalm about times spent in the valley has given many Christians a sense of hope during valley seasons in their life.   The premise of the Psalm is that God is our Shepherd, and not just any shepherd He is the good shepherd who comforts and protects us;  provides a safe place for us to eat and rest. He restores our worn and tattered soul and then shows us the path to righteousness.  And when we find ourselves journeying through the valley of the shadow of death, we will fear nothing because we know He will guide us and and direct us to ensure our end does not come.   In the presence of my enemies He provides for my well being,  my cup is overflowing with the springs that give life,  and surely goodness and faithfulness will follow me all the days of my house as I live in the house of the Lord forever.
A - The application for me is to recognize I have a good shepherd who leads and protects me.  Wherever He leads me he provides for all my needs.  He gives me food and rest in the abundant pastures He leads me to and protects me from my sinful nature and from the attacks of the devil.  As I travel through the valley seasons in my life he guides me and makes a way for me to survive the trying times.  
P -  Dear heavenly Father, thank you for this psalm of Davide reminding me of who you are, my good shepherd who comforts and guides me.  I pray that you would guide me where I need to be this year and where I am to put my hand to the plow.  I  pray all these things, in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment