Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Loving and following Christ

 S - John 21:15-17

  (NASB)

15 So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus *said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you [f]love Me more than these?” He *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I [g]love You.” He *said to him, “Tend My lambs.” 16 He *said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you [h]love Me?” He *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I [i]love You.” He *said to him, “Shepherd My sheep.” 17 He *said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you [j]love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you [k]love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I [l]love You.” Jesus *said to him, “Tend My sheep.

O -  In this  interaction between Peter and Jesus,   Jesus is helping Peter to understand Jesus' love for Him and the calling that Peter will have.   At this point in time Jesus had already shown himself 2 other times after his resurrection, but had not had the one on one talk with Peter about his denying Jesus 3 times.   This likely weighed heavily on Peter as he had declared in the garden of Gethsemane that he would follow Jesus even unto his death.    I believe this three times repeated question was intentional to relieve Peter of his guilt and re-affirm him in his calling.


A -  The application for me is to recognize I too have denied Christ in my sinful and shameful moments. I believe Jesus words and actions with Peter are for me today also.   Do I love him?  The answer is yes, I do, but I still fall short.   Yes but do I love him?   Yes I do, but I have been disobedient.  Yes, but do I love him.  The answer is yes, and I keep coming back to Christ when I fall short and look for how He desires to change me and give me a purpose.


P -  Dear heavenly father, thank you for the message today.  May it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would heal me of my past, and reveal to me your planned future.  Lord I love you with all my heart, mind, and strength.   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment