Sunday, August 16, 2020

Jesus and the His Kingdom

 S - John 18:33-37    (NASB)

“Are You the King of the Jews?” 34 Jesus answered, “Are you saying this [j]on your own initiative, or did others tell you about Me?” 35 Pilate answered, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered You to me; what have You done?” 36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom [k]is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not [l]of this realm.” 37 Therefore Pilate said to Him, “So You are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.”

O - Jesus is speaking to Pilate when Pilate asks if He is the King of the Jews.   Jesus knows this is the truth but wants to show Pilate it is not He who proclaims He is the king of the Jews but God and God's people who reveal this.   But then He reveals the real shocking truth, His kingdom is not on earth, but in heaven. He is there to lead God's people to a restored eternal life with God.

A - The application for me is to realize I am a subject under Jesus' reign, and that His kingdom is in Heaven, and He has prepared a place for me.   This world is fallen and falls short of the glory of Heaven, but it is the place God has us now.   We are to live, knowing the truth of Jesus and the Kingdom of Heaven.  We can enjoy the wonder of God's creation, the relationship with people here on earth, but we should long for what lies ahead, an eternity with the Father in Heaven, and fellowship with Jesus and God's people.

P - Dear heavenly Father thank you for your grace and peace.  I pray this revelation of your kingdom and your restoration would be my daily reality.   Help me to long not for things of this world but of heavenly things like a deep relationship with Jesus, and a sharing of the good news that Jesus has overcome the world.  I pray all this in Jesus Christ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment