Sunday, August 9, 2015

The good shepherd - Jesus

S -  John 10:11-18
11"I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. 12He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep. 14I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, 15even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd. 17For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father."

O -  I am reminded of who the greatest shepherd of all is,  Christ.  Here Jesus' is describing what a great shepherd does.  He is doing this in light of the people of Israel being the flock, and the Jewish leadership perhaps not being the good shepherd.  He has come to Earth at a time when people are not necessarily being shepherded toward God and reconciliation, and during a time when the shepherds have strayed from God's calling.

A - The application for me is to first and foremost recognize Jesus' as my shepherd, and the greatest shepherd ever to be followed.  At times I have felt the calling to be a good shepherd, and I believe God honors that but truly my role is still as sheep,  I can't replace the good shepherd, I must help others recognize Him and follow him also.  

P -  Dear heavenly Father thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you remove all hubris in me that I am someones greatest shepherd, that I am just a sheep who wants other sheep to follow Christ.  I pray that you give me the words, heart, and attitude that conveys your love and grace for your people.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.









No comments:

Post a Comment