Monday, August 3, 2015

Seek God, not the glory of men

S- John.  5:19-44.nasb 
Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner. For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself is doing; and the Father will show Him greater works than these, so that you will marvel. "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life. 
...
How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?

O -  Jesus' testimony of who He truly is in the book of John, should leave no doubt.  I suspect John wrote the Gospel with the full intention of establishing with clarity and confidence that Jesus was the messiah, the Son of God, and scripture,  the coming of John the Baptist declaring the way for his arrival,  the Fathers' words at Jesus' baptism,  Jesus' ministry and miracles all testify to this truth.  Now Jesus in many places is speaking to he Jewish educated leaders who should have knowledge to recognize he was the messiah, but what tripped them up is the they fell into the trap of seeking honor from one another instead of honor from God the Father.

A -  The application and teaching for me today is to recognize that I can and have fallen into the same trap, seeking the approval of men over  the approval of God.   God has been faithful in my  life to show me and allow me to know Him, yet at times I am disappointed by my lack of approval of other people.  This seeking the approval of other men in my life leads me to focus on the wrong things and will never satisfy my soul.  

P -  Lord I repent for the times I was chasing after things that pleased men and not you.  I ask Lord that you give me your eyes to see where you are working and help me to focus on you at work and at home, so I may serve those you are calling me to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment