Thursday, August 13, 2015

Pruning and the winter season

S - John.15.1-2.nasb
"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit.

O - The context of this scripture is that Jesus is speaking to the people of Israel, that Jesus came as the true vine connected to God the Father.  In the history of God and His people they have wandered back and forth from Him.  Whether it be Moses and the Israelites lack of faith in the desert, or the Kings that followed David and Solomon in their leading in the ways of the Lord resulting eventually in exile.  God has always been willing to prune dead branches that no longer bear fruit, but has always kept alive the main root of some kind.  He has also always pruned and made fruitful those who abide in Him.   At this time Jesus is speaking to the pruning of the old system of high priest, and sacrificial animals for the sins of God's people, to the more fruitful ultimate high priest who made will make the ultimate sacrifice once and for all.  From their new fruitful branches will be produced.

A -  I am a fruit and a branch.  I have receive my salvation through Christ sacrifice, and His building on the new covenant Church.   I those branches eventually grew and reached me.   Over the past 10 years or so I believe I have desired to be a fruitful branch and at times felt I reached my God given potential.   In the current season I am in a time of pruning, which is painful and at times disheartening,  but I do trust in God's wisdom and ability to make me fruitful once again.

P - Dear heavenly Father, I thank you for this devotion, and my prayer is that you keep my branch alive, that you keep me connected to you Lord, that though it may be a winter season of pruning, I put my hope in you for the spring season to come.  I pray all this in Jesus Christ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment