Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Beware of false teachers

S - 2 John 1:7-9.nasb
For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, that you do not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward. Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son.

O - John, sounds like he is speaking to believers in a local church he may have planted or shepherded.  In the letter John warns of false teachers and Anti-Christ that can lead believers away from something other than the full reward and promise in Christ.   I can imagine in the early church (and not much different from today) that the Gospel delivered was changing lives, but the parable of the seed proved to true,  that the Gospel could be received, even grow, but could also grow in shallow soul and not reach full maturity and therefore grow deep enough roots in Christ to withstand false teaching and circumstantial trials.  John warns that we have to abide or stay connected to Christ and His teachings.

A -  The application for me is to understand that I must, especially in the season of flagging spirit, yield to false teachers and Anti-Christs.   That I cling to the truth of what I know and what Jesus has taught and commanded me.  I know that in this season I might be or have a tendency to slowly withdraw from the body of Christ, and this stands as  good warning to me to not allow myself to go too far, but to hold steadfast to Jesus, His truths, and His ways.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for you lessons, today, may it saturate, my heart, mind, soul, and spirit.   I pray Lord for protection  of what I have learned,  and received through you.  I pray Lord for a healing of this depression, and a victory over this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment