Sunday, June 17, 2012

Words for the member of the body of Christ

Words for the member of the body of Christ

S   - Col 3:1-3,12-21 (NASB)
Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.
...
12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; 13  bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. 14 Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond ofunity. 15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
...
18  Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. 19  Husbands, love your wives and do not be embittered against them. 20  Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord. 21  Fathers, do not exasperate your children, so that they will not lose heart.


O - In this one chapter of a letter to the church of Colossia we see Paul covering a broad spectrum of subjects but all of them foundational for Christians to living a new life in the body of Christ.   Since Paul had spent much time traveling and planting new church's he was likely familiar with the challenges and growing that was needed.  The things listed in chapter three mostly have to do with the behavior of the individual in some new transformational way, made possible by the sacrifice of Christ.


A -  The application for me is to meditate on this scripture and allow it to refresh me and restore me to God's intent for my life.    I must keep focused on God and things above, while operating here on earth.  The member of the body are to operate differently because who Christ is in them, and the example He has set for us.   Lastly,  our family is the body of Christ, and how we interact husband to wife,  father to daughter does make a difference.  For me I must remember my calling to lead but not embitter my wife, to shepherd but not exasperate my children.  


P- Thank you Lord for your word today in my life,  may it be sealed to my heart.  I thank you for your grace as I struggle to find peace in this season.  Please Lord continue to show me your glory in this season, so I may follow you in faith and trust of your great plan for my life.  I pray this all in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment