Thursday, June 14, 2012

Focus on what is true

Focus on what is true

S -   Phil 4:8 -13(NASB)
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
...
11   I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.


O - Paul in speaking to the Philippians here is continue to encourage them in walking a good walk in Christ so their light will continue to shine.  Both of these verses are designed to be exhortations to the church which Paul knows by word of mouth or by the spirit need encouragement to stay true in what is likely a challenging environment.     Paul knows that our tendency can be to focus on what is going wrong around us,  what provisions we are lacking, and we can drive our self into the dumps.  We know however that our strength, peace and joy no longer need to come from our surrounding, but from the spirit of God that lives in us.


A - The application for me is to begin to reapplying this principles to my life.  First to focus on what is true and honorable and right, and not to get mired in the negative.  My soul needs to not be depleted but restored by the focus on what is good in my family, my ministry, and my work.  I also must learn to be content in all my circumstances, knowing that my provision is coming from the Lord, and he knows my every need.


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart. I pray Lord for your to show me how to fill my heart and mind with what is good and true, and reject all the negative thoughts and concerns.   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment