Sunday, June 10, 2012

Discipling my children

Discipling my children
S -  Eph 6:4 (NASB)
 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.


O - Paul's advice here is to the Ephesians is to across the board from fathers, to slaves, to slave owners.   In each he does a good job of explaining the differences from the perhaps the current culture and the way people who are Christ followers should behave and more importantly lead God's people He has entrusted us with.   As a father,  we may have always felt responsible for our children, but Paul brings the subtle change of God's love for our children.


A -  For me is hits close to home in the leadership of my daughter Ashlyn.  She is my oldest daughter, and because of this we grew a strong bond early in her life.  But she possesses a similar personality to me in her passion and her potential for anger.   As a father my desire is to always bring her joy in her life, but I know that is not always possible. I am reminded that my role is to bring discipline and instruction so she will be raised up in a way that grows her to love and respect God and the authority He has placed in her life.  At the same time the scripture reminds me I have a part to play in ensuring I am not provoking her behavior by allowing my own temper and anger to lead me to create anger in her.  I need to guard my heart and emotions when leading and discipling her to ensure she knows that I am not the enemy but the good shepherd.


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson may it be sealed to my heart.  Lord I pray for freedom from the anger in me that hurts others, and the wisdom and discernment to lead my daughters, your children well.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment