Monday, April 16, 2012

Sometimes Righteousness is contrary to our own logic

Sometimes Righteousness is contrary to our own logic

S - Matt 3:13-15 (NASB)
13 Then Jesus *arrived from Galilee at the Jordan coming to John, to be baptized by him. 14 But John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?” 15 But Jesus answering said to him, “Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he *permitted Him


O -   It make sense to me that John the baptist felt himself unworthy to baptize Jesus.   But there is a strong lesson to learn from Jesus' response and John's contrition.   We see the theme that God's righteousness is above all.   Very similarly Peter learned this lesson in defense of Jesus, his teacher, when he tried to stop Jesus from going to Jerusalem and even from being arrested, Jesus rebuked Him because He knew the righteousness of God would be achieved on the Cross.


A - The application for me is not to second guess everything I do.  I need to live by the spiritual foundation that I have in me, and live accordingly.  Knowing that God's ways are often different and certainly better than our ways, I can expect the roads He has me on to be different than I might expect or plan for myself. Therefore I must be wholly lead able and correctable by His spirit in me, to live for His righteousness, and not my plans and expectations.  As with John and Peter, this may come as a humbling experience like getting to baptize Jesus, or as a rebuke like when Jesus told Peter "Satan get behind me".  


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of your word today as I sit down at your feet, I am grateful that your word speaks truth into my life.  I pray Lord for continued strength and guidance in this season I am walking.   In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment