Thursday, March 15, 2012

Restoring those who have stumbled

Restoring those who have stumbled
S - Gal 6:1=2 (NASB)
 1 Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentlenesseach one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. 


O -  Paul here continues to write words of correction to the church at Galatia, because he knows they are having internal problems with members of their own congregation driving themselves and others away from Christ.  But in teaching that we are no longer bound by the law and therefore bound by the punishments it laid out, he is obligated to teach how under Christ we are to correct others.   So the paradigm shift comes here, that we are to restore people with a spirit of gentleness, vice the old testament law method of stoning them to death and riding them of the congregation.   This is so we may fullfil the new law,  the law of Christ, which is a law of loving God, and loving others,   a law of restoration, and a law abound in grace.


A -  The application for me is to recognize that I too must follow the law of Christ, in my job, at home, in ministry.   I must be Holy Spirit led, seeking to help restore someone who has stumbled with a spirit of gentleness.    I must reflect on myself when counseling, for though I counsel others, I am susceptible to be entangled in the same problems as the ones I counsel.  Lastly, I am to help carry the burden, i.e. participate in helping people work their way out of the circumstances they are in.   The recent example for me is a young Navy LT who has been pulled over for a DUI and is facing losing his opportunity to serve.  I need to help restore his personal confidence with a spirit of gentleness, empathizing with what it means to make mistakes in our lives, and helping him climb out through repentance and yet with a willingness to come along side him as he takes a walk through this valley in his life.


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson , may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord for a renewing of my spirit, so I may help restore others with a spirit of gentleness.  Help me lord to be willing to bear others burdens for their sakes,  in service and obedience to you.   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment