Monday, March 19, 2012

Servant of Christ

Servant of Christ
S - 1 Cor 4:4-13 (NASB)
4 For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. 5 Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men’s hearts; and then each man’s praise will come to him from God. 
...
9 For, I think, God has exhibited us apostles last of all, as men condemned to death; because we have become a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men.10 We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are prudent in Christ; we are weak, but you are strong; you are distinguished, but we are without honor. 11 To this present hour we are both hungry and thirsty, and are poorly clothed, and are roughly treated, and are homeless; 12 and we toil, working with our own hands; when we are reviled, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure; 13 when we are slandered, we try to conciliate; we have become as the scum of the world, the dregs of all things, even until now. 


O - Paul here is presenting to the Corinthians the paradigm shift that all Christians must face, that we are not to be made new in Christ and then exalt ourselves above all others, but rather we are made last and to be a servant to Christ and a servant to all.     We are not to seek the praises of man, or fear the judgement of man, but to wait on the praise of the Lord.  


A - The application for me is to see the richness of the picture of who Paul was not just as a great Apostle of Christ, but meant to be a example of the Christ likeness and attitude we are to seek.  For me this does not mean I seek the praises or comparison to Paul but rather that there is hope for me, that what Christ did in Paul he can do in me.    I am not to seek the legacy and glory of Paul, but recognize seeking to follow in Paul's footsteps means a life of service.  In my life today I am to begin divorcing myself from the exalted positions and ranks that I have earned in the Navy and begin serving others with greater vigor and love.  


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for your daily speaking life and truth into my life, during this time of personal challenge.  I know Lord if I stay close to you,  I will always safely navigate the treacherous paths that lay ahead.   I pray Lord for a rebuking of any doubt that remains in me of my calling or my desire to be all in for you.  I pray that you would help my words and actions make clear who I am for, and that I would be a light unto those you place in my life.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment