Saturday, March 3, 2012

The absolute covenant of marriage

The absolute covenant of marriage
S - Mark 10
10 In the house the disciples began questioning Him about this again. 11 And He *said to them, Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her; 12 and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.”


O - This second statement by Jesus regarding marriage came after the scribes and pharisee's where questioning him regarding marriage.  Jesus had explained the law of Moses was put out because of the people's hard hearts, but that God's truth is that he joins man and woman in marriage and they become of one flesh, and since God joins them, no man should have the choice to separate them.   Even the disciples found this confusing because they had grown up so long in a culture where divorce was acceptable, even by the religious law.  But Jesus clearly states here that it is sin to divorce our spouses.   We must be careful though not to confuse those who don't know what sin is and what sin's result and resolution is.  You sin, we all today fall short and still sin, turn away from God and His commands.  The result is a certain spiritual death if it not for Jesus paying the full price of our sin.  Through repentance and turning toward God we are saved by His grace from our deserved penalty.  The sin from adultery is no different than the sin of dishonoring our mother and father, or committing murder, it has a consequence, and it does still occur even amongst saved Christians, but the path is clear for repentance and restoration.


A - The application for me is to understand how I may defend my stance and belief's that marriage is a lifelong institution, confirmed by God's joining of a man and a woman to one flesh. We must do all we can to maintain this sacred covenant sacred.  Whenever there is a deviation from it sin resides, and repentance is required.  I believe I will run across couples who divorce and remarry in my life.  My role is to lead them back to the truth.  The truth is if in a marriage that is breaking, repentance back to God likely needs to occur,  on one party's or both party's part.  If divorce has already occurred, repentance still needs to occur, so that they may reconcile themselves with God.   For me personally, I feel I am reconciled to a lifelong convenant with my wife, however I know there will be moments I must repent and turn back to God to help maintain and restore my marriage to the fullness of God's design.


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my life.  I pray Lord that you would be the third cord that binds my marriage.  I repent Lord for the things I have done that have not honored this convenant and ask for forgiveness and full restoration so that Abby and I may live fully in your promises.  I pray this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment