Monday, March 12, 2012

Faith the ultimate act

S -  Gal 2:2,23-24 (NASB)
 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?
...
23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.


O - Paul's teaching here is revolutionary for even us today, who tend to enslave ourselves with rules we believe will keep us righteous.  He explains to the Galatians how they first came to know Christ, through hearing and believing, not doing and perfecting by works.   Yet the tendency of man is to take the free gift of God, his grace and forgiveness, and enslave ourselves and eventually even others.   Paul gives the clear explanation that it was by faith Abraham received his promise, and it was 500 years later that the law came through Moses.  The law had its purpose, to limit our transgression, so when the promise to Abraham , revealed and fulfilled through Christ came, we would believe. 


A -  The application for me is to understand that Faith is the ultimate Act.   Not obedience, not works.  I speak this to my own soul so that I may put fear and worry of performance and recognition beside me, and walk by faith in the promise God has made to me.  Through my faith, I have received Christ, I have given my life to Him, and my life is infinitely better because of it.  I must not back track and lose ground by giving in to worries of expectations of the world, or even expectations that I do great works for the church.  The only thing I need to do is have great faith that God is in my life, and his promise for my future is true and right. 


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's affirmation, it means a great deal to me that you have invested daily in my growth, and have taught me to walk in your ways.   I pray Lord that you would strengthen my faith, not for my sake but for the sake that I might be used by you to be a light and beacon to those around me, that I might have the opportunity to share with others the love and grace you have shown me.   I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment