Sunday, March 4, 2012

Measured passion -  Jesus' example
S - Mark 11:11,15-16 (NASB)
 11 Jesus entered Jerusalem and came into the temple; and after looking around at everything, He left for Bethany with the twelve, since it was already late.
... (after spending the night in Bethany)
15 Then they *came to Jerusalem. And He entered the temple and began to drive out those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves; 16 and He would not permit anyone to carry merchandise through the temple.


O - In these verses, Jesus is entering Jerusalem for the the last time, on his way to the what He knows is the cross.  He has been to the temple many times before, but this time the author of the Mark takes the time to note that on entry (don't forget it was kings entry, on a colt with the people laying down their coats and saying Hosanna) ,  that Jesus came to the temple and after surveying everything, he left.   This seems odd at first, but as we wait and see, he returns likely the next day or so and immediately began driving out those buying and selling in the temple, likely to make the statement that He is here to restore His Father's house.


A - The application for me is to admire and be exampled by Jesus and His ministry.   Jesus likely had seen the temple many times before and knew change was required.  He also knew the Father had a plan and that waiting on Father's timing was essential.  So as he entered Jerusalem there was likely a combination of fear and righteous anger that burned within.  I love how He seemingly first just observed the temple the night before He comes to begin restoring it (first through the turning of the tables,  ultimately tearing it down by His own death on the cross and resurrection).   He did so with a degree of measured control and purpose which is the example I take away from this.  The measured control is one of the examples I take away for myself.  I know that I will see things I do not approve of but my response to those things, needs to be measured, and controlled in the sense it is with the guidance and the timing that is from the Lord, and not out of irrational passions that bubble up inside of me. 


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today' s lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you help me to understand and live like Jesus in righteousness, passion, and purpose.  I pray for continued dissection out of my life of those things that are not righteous or of you, and that you continue to transform my inner life, so that my outer life would be pleasing to you.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment