Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Profitable for the Kingdom of God
S - 1 Cor 6:12 (NASB)
12 All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.


O - Paul is definitely rebuking the Corinthians about there tendency to go backwards, toward dependence on the law, toward acceptance of unprofitable practices, toward allowing the culture around them to re-influence them to pull away from the revelation of who Christ is and what freedom he brought, but also what that freedom is for.   You see Paul is letting them know their is freedom in Christ, but that doesn't mean we use our freedom for unprofitable things to the kingdom of God. 


A -  The application for me is to recognize that the society in which I live, in California, in America, is as complicated and irreligious as the Corinthian culture was.   As I grow in understanding of the freedom of who Christ is me, I am to guard against the tendency to do things which society thinks profitable, but God does not find profitable in my life.   Right now I know that my Navy career weighs heavily on my mind, and that while God has made profitable my time in the Navy, the future kingdom profit does not lie down the path of what is profit in a Navy career.  For now I must focus on what profits the kingdom of God,  investing in those who transform lives, and investing in transformed lives.   


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would help me to navigate this path you have me on, helping me discern what is not profitable, and investing my time and energy on what is profitable.   I pray this in Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment