Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The new covenant, what it means to me

The new covenant, what it means to me 

S - Heb 8:7-13 (NASB)

For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. For finding fault with them, He says,
“ Behold, days are coming, says the Lord,
When I will effect a new covenant
With the house of Israel and with the house of Judah;
Not like the covenant which I made with their fathers
On the day when I took them by the hand
To lead them out of the land of Egypt;
For they did not continue in My covenant,
And I did not care for them, says the Lord.
10 “ For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel
After those days, says the Lord:
will put My laws into their minds,
And I will write them on their hearts.
And I will be their God,
And they shall be My people.
11 “ And they shall not teach everyone his fellow citizen,
And everyone his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’
For all will know Me,
From the least to the greatest of them.
12 “ For I will be merciful to their iniquities,
And I will remember their sins no more.”
13 When He said, “ A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

O - Paul here teaches of the new covenant and how the old covenant given to Moses has passed away.    What is interesting is how this is not Paul through his own revelation coming to this conclusion but from scripture in which Jeremiah is proclaiming this new covenant to come.   God's plan was patient and perfect, for in the days of Jeremiah he was getting rid of the northern Israel tribes to Assyria, and sending the lower tribes of  Judah and Benjamin to exile in Babylon.   Upon return from exile the nation would still go through a long period of waiting for the messiah who would come and enact/fulfill the new covenant. 

A - The application for me is to realize the reality and truth of the new covenant as a means to my salvation and guarenteed relationship with God.   I by myself, even though I compare myself to the old standard, will always fall short of that standard,  but through Christ I am given a chance to reconcile with God.   Though living imperfectly today,  I can through repentance and Jesus' intercession have access to the God who created me and who loves me.  

P - Jesus thank you for your obedience to our Heavenly Father, and your  willingness to stand in my stead , first off for the punishment I deserve, then as chief priest and intercessor with the Father.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment