Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cease striving

Cease striving
S - Psalm 46:10-11 (NASB)

10 Cease striving and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our stronghold.

O - This psalm comes paired with a  reading from Chronicles that describes the reigns on kings of Israel, the northern kingdom getting taken away to Assyria, never to return, and the southern kingdom Judah.  Each of the kings had over time begin seeking other gods.  In the case of Ahaz king of Judah, he did so because he was defeated and wanted to follow the god of the kingdom that defeated him thinking this would somehow bring him success.   The psalmist here gives a word of exhortation not to get distracted by your striving for safety and prosperity, for we know who God is.   His name is going to be lifted before all nations, and so in our striving if we are not striving to see his name become famous among the nations and staying with him as a stronghold against our enemies we will likely be in the same situation the two kingdoms of Israel and Judah found themselves.


A -  The application for me was to understand that I have to ensure I "cease striving".   My cease striving is for acceptance and validation of the people of the world.  I must be satisfied with opportunities to exalt God to the people I interact with ,  and recognize in times of fear or worry I must remember God is with me, he is my stronghold. 


P - Dear heavenly Father, help me today to live this principle of taking comfort in the shelter of your stronghold.    I pray you search me and if there are in any ways that I am 'Striving' , remove from me the internal worry and concern that is driving this striving.  I pray all this in Jesus name, amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment