Thursday, July 26, 2012

Humble yourself in times of waiting

Humble yourself in times of waiting
 S - 1 Peter 5:6-10 (NASB)
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.  Be of sober spiritbe on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.  But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. 10 After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect,confirm, strengthen and establish you.


O - These words of encouragement are to the men and women of the early church, from the Rock Apostle Peter whom experiences as a follower and now leader of the Christian movement are vast.  Peter experienced the the wonder and glory of our savior Jesus in the flesh,  and in the spirit.  He heard testimony from God himself,  watched his Lord suffer and die, and received him after he rose again , conquering death.  During those times his faith was being forged, he struggled with denial,  and with picking up his leadership mantle and moving forward with it.  He suffered persecution and jailing.   So when Peter speaks these words, they are spirit inspired, but experience forged.   He describes a common journey we all will likely face, one that depends on us humbling ourselves before the Lord, allow him to perfect and strengthen us, and establish our calling.


A - The application for me is to humble myself and wait patiently on the Lord.  In this season I am not yet clear of His purpose for my life, and His purpose for me in Monterey.  I know that He is with me, and doing a good work in me, and I need to continue to humbly serve my family, at work, and in the local church body.  


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray this in Jesus name.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment