Monday, July 18, 2022

Faith and deeds

​S-James 2:14-16 NIV

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds?Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

O-James' letter stands as an exhortation to the church to be doers of good deeds by taking their faith and turning it to action.  I believe it is not so much about having faith that saves us but rather the gratefullness that comes from being saved should prompt or prod us into action.   James example is clear if our words sound good and positive but make no real change then perhaps we haven't considered the correct set of actions or deeds.  This is a common affliction that we learn the correct vocabulary as we grow as Christians but if that growth only resides in the word's we speak and not also the actions we take then we need to take a deeper look into why our actions are not following our words.

A - The application for me is to look to my words and see if my actions are aligning.  This is true in all my relationships but especially with my wife whom I am trying to rebuild trust.   My words are fine but my actions fall short of what I am saying.  I need to ask the Holy Spirit for promptings and strength to step out in action toward those around me.  

P - Dear heavenly Father thank you for today's devotion may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord for help with making my actions match my faith and my words.  First help my faith to grow deeper in trust of You,  then help my actions match the words that come from me.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment