Friday, January 13, 2017

Understanding and obeying the Lord

Understanding and obeying the Lord
S Luke11
5 The Lord answered him, “You hypocrites! Doesn’t each of you on the Sabbath untie your ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? 16 Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?”

O-  My observation here is that I can relate to the Pharisee's perspective here that in trying to follow the Lord's commandments they lost the heart behind the author of these commandments.   Jesus is frustrated by this because he is incarnate God, pooring out His love on earth, and yet they don't recognize Him and what He is doing.   Instead they over many generations have chosen to judge others on their committment to the commandments of God, but by adding their own restrictive interpetations of the laws.   No I am not saying there is room for broad interpetation, I am saying we need to read scripture from the totality of who God is, and not look narrowly at a single line and try and interpret it as a stand alone.   

A -  The application for me is to continue to do my best to read the bible and study who God is and what He desires, what pleases Him, and how he wants me to live and serve.   In this specific case of the Sabatth,  I believe the Lord desires to give us the gift of the sabath to rest and reflect on His glory.  Obeying it honors Him and has many great returns for us.   God also wants us to love others as ourselves, and therefore when conflicted as to whether to show love to someone or to rest,  I believe God expects us to use wisdom to do both in a way that honors Him.   Great acts of love are authorized,  but so is rest for our weary souls.  

P -  Dear heavenly father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you might give rest to my tired and anxious mind, and heal me from the depression completely,  but your will be done in my life Lord.   In Jesus name I pray , Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment