Friday, January 6, 2012

Love - the most important habit to live

Love - the most important habit to live

Luke 6:27-37 *(NASB)

 27 “But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either. 30 Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. 31 Treat others the same way you want them to treat you. 32 If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
   37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned.

O - This teaching was directed toward the apostles after Jesus had just chose them.  Up to then Jesus was leading a group of followers and He was ministering to individuals and groups in the area's he was traveling.   Jesus began to prepare His disciples for the challenges they would face in following and leading His  church by teaching Him in my mind the toughest principle of all, loving your enemies.  To learn to love all mankind like Christ does, requires that we love as He does.  Jesus came to save the worst of the sinners, but He does so because He loves them,  he needed His apostles to do the same.

A - The application for me is to realize I must practice the discipline of loving my enemies, even  the ones that just hurt or offended me.  I have been reflecting lately on those I have not loved well even those I have held a grudge against, or wanted to do bodily harm to.  I realize now I cannot be an effective disciple of Christ if I continue not to love how He loves me (us all)

P -  Dear heavenly Father,thank you for today's lesson,may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you temper me in a way that controls my passion and allows me to love as you love.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment