Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Evangelism, impossible without God

Evangelism, impossible without God

S - Luke 18:25-26 (NASB)
 How hard it is for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God! 25 For it is easier for a camel togo through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” 26 They who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?” 27 But He said, The things that are impossible with people are possible with God.”


O - The parable often quoted is in verse 25, but the insightful question and following answer are the truth that is for all.   We understand from the story of the rich man who is righteous but then when asked to sell all his things and give them to the poor, and follow Jesus he stumbles because of his riches.    This is the no insignificant hurdle for many to get over when the question of giving up your old life, and following Jesus.   But thanks be to God that his grace is sufficient to get beyond ourselves.   The grace is that something so impossible for man to do, is possible with God's intervention, and He truly desires to intervene on our behalf, and did so with His son.   


A - The application for me is to recognize that salvation is real, and that it is only supernaturally possible for people to overcome the pull of the world.   Therefore when trying to separate people from the world, and lead them to Jesus, it is important to do so with God's help.   The best way to do that is through prayer and petition, and God's word.   Prayer and petition in preparation and God's word, so that the word's I speak are words from Him and not words from me.


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would continue to lead me and grow in me a heart of evangelism, and that you prepare me for the calling you have for me.  I also pray specifically that you prepare Abby and I and my family for a closer relationship with you.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment