Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Don't forget the mission

Don't forget the mission
S - Luke 4:18-19
 18 “THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME, 
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR. 
HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES, 
AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND, 
TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED, 
19 TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.”


O -  This scripture was spoken by Jesus at the synagogue of his hometown, he was reading from the book of Isaiah.   He had recently been baptized in the Jordan where the spirit of the Lord descended on Him, after which he fasted and was tempted for 40 days in the wilderness.   All that is the context in which the next words we here from Jesus in the gospel of Luke is that he quotes was written hundreds of years before about this precise moment in time when  Jesus would begin preaching the Gospel and perform miracles.


A-  The part that capture my attention and my understanding is that Jesus' mission eventually became my mission when I made him Lord of my life.  The mission is the same as listed here,   to preach the Gospel to the poor, to help release the captive, give sight to the blind, and set free the oppressed.   These are who Jesus went after in His ministry on earth and I suspect I am to  do the same in some fashion.  The challenge is not to become a social Christian who gathers with like minded Christians for fellowship but never leaves the comfort of the group to share the gospel, to free the oppressed,  or give healing to those with affirmities.   The Gospel is alive, and the mission is clear, I need simulate to press forward and never forget the mission I am on.


P - Dear heavenly father, thank you Lord for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart. I pray Lord that you would help me to live out your calling in my life, and that you would grow me to fullfil the work that you are doing here on earth.  I pray this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment