Friday, January 20, 2012

Discerning of spiritual leaders

Discerning of spiritual leaders


S - Luke 20:45-47 (NASB)


45 And while all the people were listening, He said to the disciples, 46 “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love respectful greetings in the market places, and chief seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets, 47 who devour widows’ houses, and for appearance’s sake offer long prayers. These will receive greater condemnation.”


O - The closer it got to Jesus' crucifixion the more clear it became that the old ways of memorizing scripture and proclaim self righteousness, while doing wrong in the treatment and judgement of God's people.  By this point Jesus had been approached by pharisee's and Sadducee asking him questions, not in order to learn about the kingdom of God, but rather to trip him up so they might arrest him.  


A - The application for me is recognize my own potential to put on aires, and walk around in a robe judging people, vice showing the love of Christ and teaching kingdom principles.  I also must be aware that there may be teachers of God's word or leaders who put on good appearance but underneath are not good for influencing, me or my family.   Careful spiritual discernment and prayer is my defense against these things. 


P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would give me clear spiritual discernment of those spiritual leaders I run across.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment