Monday, January 18, 2010

A True elder brother - Judah

A True elder brother - Judah

S - Gen 44:32-24 (NASB)

"For your servant became surety for the lad to my father, saying, 'If I do not bring him back to you, then let me bear the blame before my father forever.'

33"Now, therefore, please let your servant remain instead of the lad a slave to my lord, and let the lad go up with his brothers.

34"For how shall I go up to my father if the lad is not with me--for fear that I see the evil that would overtake my father?"

O - I think this is scripture of an excellent prelude of Christ, especially since it is coming from Judah, the tribe from which eventually Jesus would be born from. Here we have a brother who is willing to lay down his own life for his brother, rather than see his younger brother taken and his father heartbroken. We too have an elder brother who went in our place. Christ went and took our punishment on, so we might return to the Father in Heaven. We too need to remember this, and rejoice in give thanks for having such an older brother.

A - The application for me is to just remember that I was facing consequences that had eternal implications: separation from God, death. It was Christ who raised his hand and said I will go before you and take on that punishment in your place, so that you may come home to the Father.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotion. May it be sealed to my heart. I thank you Lord Jesus, for being a true elder brother, who died for my sins, and reconciled me with God. I can never repay that debt, but I can love you and be obedient to your calling on my life, and pray it would be a pleasing offering to you. I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment