Thursday, January 14, 2010

Satan in the Old Testament


O - I had a revelation this morning reading the psalms of David, that no point in the psalms does David cry out to God for protection from Satan, or to defeat the enemy of his soul.    As a result I thought it would be interesting to do a search as see how often Satan came up in the old testament.   My memory told me not too often other than in the beginning with Adam and Eve, and then Job.   The search proved it out that he was not mentioned but 7 times in total.   And that makes so much sense, because in Genesis Satan had caused the separation of man and God, and then was pretty much able to go into hiding, working mostly behind the scenes.   But when Jesus came along, the reconciler of our soul's to God, Satan became once again a much more overt and powerful enemy to be considered, and confronted.  We find Satan mentioned around 45 times in the New Testament which is far fewer books and text than the old testament.  Again in revelation this is so obvious that we are reconciled with the Father, Satan has gone back to his full time job of breaking that relationship, in overt and tricky ways, and sometimes in much more covert and subtle ways.

A -  The application for me is to understand that I have an enemy of my soul, who is actively pursuing me.  The only means in which to combat him is to pursue Christ, my Lord, my redeemer, the guardian of my heart and soul, at a pace that out paces Satan's advances on my life.   The war has already been won, Jesus has reconciled my soul to the Father, the battles rage on though, and I have part to play in in the war for unreconciled souls.  

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's devotion, may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you would reveal to me the battles and attacks that Satan is planning and conducting around me so that I might help defeat him, in the day to day battle for men's souls.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment