Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The first shall be last - not by birthright

The first shall be last -  not by birthright
S - Gen 48:14 (NASB)
 But Israel stretched out his right hand and laid it on the head of Ephraim, who was the younger, and his left hand on Manasseh's head, crossing his hands, although Manasseh was the firstborn.

O - I find it curious that God once again chose to anoint the younger of siblings vice the first born.  This was the case for:  Isaac over Ishmael, Jacob over Esau, Joseph over Reuben. Here it would be Ephraim over Manasseh, and later it would be David over his older brothers.  Jesus over Adam.   I know God has a message for us and that it is that He alone is sovereign, and no one by birthright is given everything in his Kingdom.  He alone has the plan.

A - The lesson for me is one of humbleness. The Lord wants me to understand he chose me and that it is not by birthright but by his grace.  The lesson is one that is later exemplified by the scripture "the first shall be last".  We shall humble ourselves and become our brothers servant, because this is the way of the Kingdom.   

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's lesson, may it be sealed to my heart. I thank you for choosing me. I pray that I would represent you well with humbleness and understanding that I am yours, and I am my brothers servant.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment