Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New wineskin - a requirement deliver the Gospel

New wineskin - a requirement deliver the Gospel
S - Luke 5:37-39 (New American Standard Bible)

37"And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled out, and the skins will be ruined.

38"But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins.

39"And no one, after drinking old wine wishes for new; for he says, 'The old is good enough.'"

O - The scripture I believe is alive and full of meaning. Recent teachings of the prodigal son parable have caused me to to listen to Jesus' parables more intently, keeping in mind who he was talking to. In this case he was speaking to the Pharisee's who were questioning his eating with tax collectors and sinners. In this parable the new wine is the Gospel, and it cannot be poured into the pharisee's because they are the old wine skins, and would burst and be ruined b the new message of the Gospel, and that is why Christ when he came chose new disciples to deliver the Gospel message. The old guard, the pharisee's where not capable of carrying out such a new and radical message without ruining it. Just as in the parable Jesus reminds the pharisee's once the people get this new message they no longer will be interested in the old message.

A - The application for me to understand that the Gospel is a new message and is alive and growing, it can not be put into a vessel that is not willing to grow and expand with it. A person who is not flexible still in there theology and view of the lost will ultimately limit the power of the Gospel. I don't want that to happen to me, so I must be open to what God is showing me the Gospel is capable of, and not what I have encapsulated it to be.

P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for today's message may it be sealed to my heart. Help me to be a new wineskin, capable and growing and expanding, so I may be used for the delivery of the Gospel to the lost and broken. In Jesus name I pray Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment