Saturday, February 11, 2023

Free from the law - free from sin

​S-Romans 7:6NLT

“But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit.”

 “So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.” But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.

‭‭Romans‬ ‭7‬:‭17‬-‭19‬ ‭NLT‬‬

O - Paul here describes the internal struggle we all feel.   We desire to do what is right and good but we don't.  We know the law and desire to follow it but our sinful nature lives in us against the law.  But verse 6 tells us that we have been released from the law because we died to it and are no longer captive its power.  Now we can serve God in a new way , not by following law but by following the Holy Spirit who God has gifted us following our confession of Christ as our Lord and savior.  So we are no longer a slave to sin but a slave to Christ.  

A - The application for me is to thankful for Christ's gift  of salvation as it free's me from the penalty of death that trying to follow God's law  had lead me to.   I now can rejoice in a new freedom from sin and a new life in Christ.  But like Paul I will have this sin nature in me that makes me want to do what is wrong, the answer lies in being obedient to the Holy Spirit in me.

P - Dear heavenly Father thank you for today's devotion may it be sealed to my heart.  I pray Lord that you Holy Spirit would speak to me and guide my ways.  I pray that you help me discern when the sinful nature in me wants to act out and cause me to dwell in my sin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment