Thursday, December 24, 2020

The Gifts and Power of the Holy Spirit in me

 John 16:5-15 (NASB)

“But now I am going to Him who sent Me; and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ But because I have said these things to you, grief has filled your heart. But I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I am leaving; for if I do not leave, the [e]Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And He, when He comes, will convict the world regarding sin, and righteousness, and judgment: regarding sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 and regarding righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you no longer are going to see Me; 11 and regarding judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.

12 “I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them at the present time. 13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take from Mine and will disclose it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine; this is why I said that He takes from Mine and will disclose it to you.

O -  The Holy Spirit is the first spiritual gift Jesus bestowed on his disciples.  Not only to his disciples but to all who believe Jesus died for our sins, and has been resurrected and now sits on the right hand of the Father, to them He will send the Holy Spirit to live in us.    The Holy Spirit is one with the Father, and is send to us that he will guide us int all truth, because He hears the father, and will disclose to you what is to come.  He will glorify Jesus, for He takes the plans that God has for us and discloses it to us.  

A -  The application for me is to be sure Jesus is my Lord, and the Holy Spirit is my guide.  He  resides in me now and is one with the Father.  He listens to all around me and in alignment with the Father, He guides my steps.   This is Jesus' promise that He will disclose to me what the Father is doing.   It is a sort of double decision to make.   First to follow Jesus and receive His salvation,  and second is to accept that I am a vessel for the Holy Spirit to reside in.   I am part spirit and part flesh.   I am to be obedient to that which strengthens my soul and avoid the temptation of my flesh.   Now we are all sinners and to avoid these temptations is not possible on my own,  but with the power of the Holy Spirit I can avoid the devil's tempations and follow the will of God.

P -  Dear heavenly Father, thank you for salvation that comes from making your son,  Jesus Christ,  my Lord and Savior.  Thank you for the gifts of the Holy Spirit and this opportunity to cement in my heart repentance for my sin,  santification of my soul,  through the baptism by the Holy Spirit.  I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment