Saturday, July 3, 2010

Without compulsion, but of free will

Without compulsion, but of free will

S - Philemon 1:14-16 (NASB)

14but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.

15For perhaps he was for this reason separated from you for a while, that you would have him back forever,

16no longer as a slave, but more than a slave, a beloved brother, especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.



O - The wisdom of Paul as a leader and a change maker is so readily apparent here in this passage. He knows that the radical change that Christianity causes people to change, but recognizes there is still barriers and values that people hold onto that they will have a hard time letting go of. In this case, one of Philemon's former slaves who ran away became a convert and disciple of Paul. Paul knowing that Philemon's pride might flare up if he sent him back this slave or demanded that Philemon release him to Paul. Now Paul was an Apostle of great authority in Christ, and he simply could have told Philemon what he demanded to occur, but instead he approached him humbling, appealing to his goodness and giving him free will so that the victory could be shared.

A - For me I am learning to lead and influence like Paul does by getting people's buy in and having them make the decision, vice telling them what to do. This scripture helps me ground that truth in the reality of what a great leader and change agent, Paul, did in his wisdom and discernment of this situation.



P - Dear heavenly Father, thank you for your revelation and example in you word, of Paul, your bondservants' humble leadership and influence. I pray Lord you might give me the wisdom and understanding that Paul had, so that I might lead your people, and those around me well. I pray all this in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment